Tuesday, July 24

Answer the call

"You must be the change,
you wish to see in the world".
by Mahatma Gandhi

This is not good. Ever since the dengue fever started to make news here, the neighbourhood area around my house has been marked as one of the top hotspots of mosquito breeding. Its funny though when I met new people and being asked where I lived, they actually know that I lived near the fishing pond. The main reason for the calamity here. There has been 2 cases of dengue fever reported for my block only. A lot of guessing game being played as to whom from which floor are the casualties for this undesirable tragedy. If you asked me, I have been living as per normal despite all these hazards. Only that I realised every afternoon, there will be aerosol spray which will cause the area to fog and constant rapping at doors by health representatives. Sometimes I do feel irritated by all this sudden attention but I'm praying hard it will pass soon, please.

I felt a bit cynical about the whole slogan that one person can make a difference, until now. It used to be that we learnt about the three R's (Reuse, Reduce and Recycle) in theory and never really put it through practicality in our lives. At least, in my part. Now, I do see a lot of improvements. People started to use recycled shopping bags and even made an uproar over the Anya Hindmarch's I'm not a Plastic Bag bag. Though I'm sure the latter obvious neon hit is due to the fashionable branding from the designer itself. Ladies sure love to flaunt the fashionable green bag. Who doesn't? Even I am tempted.

As I flip through the pages of the newspaper today, my eyes darted to this particular section.


A bamboo notebook? How cool is that. I remembered the brand name for its notorious leather notebooks and I think this one will be a head turner. Furthermore, it is built using environmentally friendly methods. The only setback is that it is only due for purchase next year. Oh well, waiting is a game.

No comments: